As a PR professional, you understand the important role you play in the success of your company. You and your team are in charge of shaping your organization’s public image and ensuring it’s represented properly. This, as you know, takes an agile frame of mind, the willingness to adapt to new trends, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Fortunately, there are certain tools that will help you in your mission.
In this article, we’ll take a look at digital asset management software and the three main ways that it benefits PR teams like yours. Let’s dive in!
What is Digital Asset Management Software?
Let’s start with a quick definition of digital asset management (DAM) software:
DAM software is any digital solution that allows its users to easily store, organize, relocate, and distribute digital assets such as photos, logos, and videos. A true DAM is a centralized media library that acts as a single source of truth for the company using it.
Proper use of DAM software often results in improved productivity, more consistent company branding, better online security, and more.
How Digital Asset Management Helps PR
Now that we know what DAM software is we can ask the question, “How does digital asset management help PR?” There are three distinct advantages DAM gives to PR teams. Let’s look at each individually:
1. DAM Keeps PR Teams Organized
As a PR professional, your schedule is busy. You constantly have press releases to write, media requests to respond to, and new relationships to cultivate. With so much to do, you definitely DON’T want to be spending your time searching for specific files.
With DAM software, you won’t have to. When all of your company’s files are neatly organized inside a DAM, you’ll be able to quickly log in, locate the digital asset you need, and use it.
The process is painless and will make you much more productive. In fact, according to our own research, DAM software can save PR and Communications teams 15 hours per week. Imagine how much more you’ll be able to accomplish with DAM!
2. DAM Helps PR Teams Maintain Consistent Branding
Your company’s brand is one of its most valuable assets. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to maintain. One press release, published with an outdated logo, could be uploaded to the internet in minutes and transmitted across the entire web.
While an outdated logo may not sound like the end of the world to most people, as a PR professional you realize that your company’s image is everything and that image must be protected.
DAM software helps maintain consistent branding by making sure updated assets are easily found via powerful metadata and tags features. You’ll never have to use an outdated logo because the current one will always be within reach.
We should also mention that most DAMs allow users to set permissions and access rights. This feature comes in handy if, for example, you want to store sensitive company information inside your DAM. Parameters can be set which only grant senior level staff access to specific files.
3. DAM Allows PR Teams to Easily Communicate
Lastly, DAM software allows PR teams to easily communicate and share assets with both internal and external parties. For example, let’s say a local newspaper wants to publish a story about your company and needs images to accompany the article.
Rather than emailing them multiple high-res images and hoping they go through, you could simply send them via your DAM’s distribution features.
Most DAM software feature two asset sharing options: download links and public facing galleries, also known as brand portals. A download link is exactly what it sounds like: a link that allows recipients to download specific files once clicked on.
A public facing gallery is an especially handy tool for PR teams. It’s essentially a media library that the general public can access. Once its set up, you can direct media professionals (like the newspaper reporter in our earlier example) to it. They can then browse the collection of photos, videos, and other digital assets, choose the ones they want to use in their story, and request access to them.
It’s an incredibly easy way for PR teams to securely share assets. Media professionals tend to love the arrangement as well because they can easily search for and find the exact images and videos they want to use in their own stories.
CleanPix + PR: A Match Made in Heaven
At this point, you know what DAM software is and how it helps PR teams. But there are a lot of different DAM options out there. Which software should you choose? In a word: CleanPix.
Our solution is powerful, easy to use, and loved by our many customers. It has all the features your PR team needs including:
- Cloud Access: If you have an internet capable device, you can access your CleanPix account. This feature is especially helpful for distributed PR teams or folks who happen to travel for work on a regular basis.
- A Robust Tagging System: When it comes to DAM software, organization is the name of the game. CleanPix allows users to organize their assets with tags which can be used to find assets in seconds — even in libraries with hundreds of thousands of files.
- Automatic File Formatting: The goal of CleanPix is to make the lives of PR professionals easier. That’s why we include an automatic file formatting feature. When you upload a file to your CleanPix account, the software will automatically convert it into other popular formats. That way you always have the exact file you need.
- The Galleries Feature: In the previous section we mentioned Galleries and how helpful they can be to PR teams. You’ll be happy to know that CleanPix includes this feature as well as the other distribution tool we mentioned: download links.
- Control Permissions: CleanPix allows users to easily assign control permissions, which we also mentioned in the section above. In the same vein, both access codes and expiry dates can be assigned to your assets, making them completely secure.
CleanPix packs a serious punch! Try it for yourself, free of charge, for the next 14 days and experience its PR-boosting powers for yourself: